It is never too early to have an End of Life Conversation. As a caregiver you may find that you are sometimes the most appropriate person or the only person able to have a discussion with a patient on what matters to them at the end their life. Luckily there is information that can help you sort you way through this difficult conversation.
Steps to get started:
- Just begin the discussion, don’t wait.
- Ask questions:
- “What do you value most in life?"
- “How do you want to be remembered?”
- “Is there anything you want to do before dying?”
- Perhaps you watch a video together and then talk about it.
- Make sure to write down the patient’s wishes.
- Communicate and give any information gathered to loved ones and family members.